Hampshire Police Officers are appealing for information following an burglary attempt in Gosport.
At around 6am on Saturday, 25 November a man put his hand through the cat flap in back door at an address in Vadne Gardens.
He was disturbed when the victim’s alarm clock went off, and he made off, jumping over the fence and running off through land at the back of Wheeler Close.
The man is described as around 5ft 4ins to 5ft 8ins, of average build and wearing a black hoody, dark blue / black trousers and white trainers.
PC Matthew Nicholls, said: “We believe this man was attempting to gain entry to the address but fortunately he was disturbed and made off empty handed. As always, we’re urging residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to the police.
“We’d like to speak to anyone who may have seen this man in the area at the time of the incident or anyone who has information that could assist our investigation.”
Hampshire Police would like to take the opportunity to remind you of our burglary crime prevention advice:
– Shut all windows and lock them when you are not using the room, at night and when you leave your property.
– Lock all front and rear doors at night and when you are out. If you have a UPVC door with a multi-point lock ensure you lift the handle and lock it with the key. Remove the key after the door or window is locked.
– Put all car keys and other keys out of sight and not in reach of windows and letterboxes; it doesn’t take much for the keys to be hooked through the letterbox. Place keyless car keys in a Faraday pouch, which can block signals, meaning would-be-opportunists can’t copy your car key and gain entry to your vehicle.
– Leave a light on so your home looks occupied if you are going out for the evening.
– If you head out while it is still daylight and won’t be back till after dark then timer switches (available from most DIY stores) can be useful for turning your lights, radios and other appliances on at a set time before you get back.
– Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property.
– Have an intruder alarm system installed. Ensure a visible alarm box is attached to the outside of your home. Also consider fitting security lighting.
– Use door chains and spy holes to give you extra security if someone knocks on your door. Never be afraid to turn people away. If you have concerns about anyone who has come to your door call the police.
– Record the details of your property such as serial numbers for electronic goods on the Immobilise website https://www.immobilise.com/
Anyone with information can call 101 quoting 44230482834 or make a report via the Hampshire & Isle of Wight Constabulary website – https://www.hampshire.police.uk/tua/tell-us-about/cor/tell-us-about-existing-case-report/